Walton is a large, mainly residential area just to the west of Felixstowe. Formerly a separate parish, it merged with Felixstowe in 1895. The settlement is bounded by the old Victorian style High Street area towards the north and the modern container port to the south. Walton was recorded in Domesday as "Waletuna".
We have yet to find a definitive map showing the boundary between Walton and Felixstowe and there's a fair degree of disagreement as to what is really in which settlement. For example, the Owl & the Pussycat, which we list in Walton, has been claimed for Felixstowe, and the former Ordnance, which we list in Felixstowe, has been listed in Walton.
The 1861 Census lists George Palmer (Publican, Street, pub not named, Head/Married/40/born Thorpe, Essex) and James Girling (Beerhouse Keeper, Street, pub not named, Head/Married/45/born Framfield).
To be sold by auction, by direction of the Trustees for sale under the Will of Mr Frederick Parker, deceased, an excellent and well accustomed beer house (Unnamed) advantageously situated in the Street at Walton, together with upwards of an acre of rich arable land, now in the occupation of Mr J Girling, and three cottage tenements adjoining, gardens.Ipswich Journal, September 1865**(** historic new…