Hartest is a pretty village with a large green, situated on a tributary of the River Stour. The village was recorded in Domesday as "Herterst", and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Hartyste".
The Hartest Brewing Company is a non-commercial club based in the village which commissions various brewers to produce beers for them.
Habitation has been recorded here for over a thousand years. Among the village's many fine buildings is the pub.
The Hartest Stone (see gallery) can be seen on the green. There are a number of stories about how it came to be here, though it seems most likely it's simply a glacial erratic.
This boulder, thought to have been placed on that spot in the early 18th century, has attracted speculation over its origins. One theory is that the boulder was moved by sled from the nearby Somerton Hill to celebrate the Peace of Utrecht and the Duke of Marlborough's victories in the War of the Spanish Succession. Another theory suggests the boulder was moved (for the same reasons) from Somerton Common. A third theory suggests the boulder was found in a clay pit owned by one Mr Carter, who had the stone moved to its current location…
The 1844 White's Directory lists Wm. Whindread as a beer house keeper. [the Swan]?
The 1851 census lists William Windred as a thatcher & beer seller, Bury Road, Head/Married/42/born Bradfield St Geo. [the Swan]?
The 1855 White's Directory lists Wm. Windred as a beer house keeper. [the Swan]?
The 1861 census lists William Windred as a beerhouse keeper, Beer Shop, Head/Married/52/born Bradfield St George. [the Swan]?
The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists Mrs Mary Nunn as a beer retailer.
The 1874 White's Directory lists Thos Wheeler as a beer house keeper and carrier.…