Closed: between 1959 and 1977?
grid reference TL 832 520
It can be seen on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
The Bell is shown on OS maps at least as late as 1959; the 1977 sheet shows it as "Bell House" so it probably closed between those dates.
A report in the Ipswich Journal, December 5th 1795**, states that catalogues for a local sale were to be left at Bell and various other local pubs.
In 1814 the Bury & Norwich Post reported a farm sale on the premises.
In 1894, the Bury Free Press reported on an inquest held at the inn.
Died on the 18th January 1865, after 3 days of illness, of diphtheria, aged 32, wife of Mr George Abbott, of the Bell Inn, Hartest, and eldest daughter of Mr William Maxim, farmer and maltster, of Boxted.Ipswich Journal, January 1865**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.