Hopton is an attractive village situated on the Little Ouse which forms the county boundary here. The village was recorded in Domesday as "Hopetuna". It's a past winner of the Best Kept Village competition. The former maltings have been converted into private accommodation.
The remnants of a once great fen have been designated a SSSI; its impressive flora can be seen from the Angles way, which passes through the eastern edge. The church contains a monument to Thomas Raymond "first and sole keeper of the papers of the state of Charles II".
Little Mill stood between Nethergate Street and Greyhound Lane from 1540 until 1899. In 1938, a Bronze-Age cremation cemetery was unearthed close to the river bridge on the Sapiston Road.
The 1874 White's Directory lists Edward Bedingfield Fowell as a wine & ale & porter merchant & beer retailer.
The 1888 Kelly's Directory lists Ezekiah Bennett as a beer retailer.
The 1900 Kelly's Directory lists Samuel Henry Fiske (also listed as a grocer & draper) as a wine & spirit & beer merchant.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.