The village, recorded in Domesday as "Menham", lies in the valley of the river Waveney and was the birthplace of Sir Alfred Munnings, an artist and president of the Royal Academy. The remains of a Cluniac priory can still be seen but the Anglo-Saxon Minster and tracts of ancient woodland mentioned in the Domesday Book have long since disappeared.
Withersdale (GoldenCross) is also in Mendham parish.
The village sign is a facsimile of a painting by Munnings, "Charlotte's Pony", commissioned to celebrate the centenary of his birth.
Mendham was a long-standing pottery centre; kilns dating to the Late Medieval period have been excavated. Other kilns are known to have operated in the 17th and 18th centuries producing glazed earthenware and peg tiles. Bricks and pantiles were also produced.
Part of the parish was actually historically located in Norfolk on north side of the river Waveney. This area is now part of Harleston. Pubs we know of that were in that part of the parish are the Cherry Tree, Magpie (now JD Young's) and the Crown (AKA the Robert Peel & Three Jolly Butchers). These are listed in our Harleston entry.
A reference in the Ipswich Journal*** on February 21st 1767 to : Daniel Alexander, late of Mendham, Alehouse-keeper, deceased.
In 1861 a Wine merchant & fire office agent is Edgar Everson/41y/Stradbroke
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.