Means "cuckoo clearing" and stands on the Roman "Pye Street" which leads to Scole. The village was recorded in Domesday as "Iacheleia". The church contains a 17th century pulpit and sexton's wheel (used to determine fasting days).
Yaxley had a short-lived railway halt on the Mellis-Eye branch line. The station opened in December 1922 but closed in February 1931. Today, little sign of the old railway remains, apart from the bridge on Ipswich Road.