Yaxley Bull Inn
Yaxley Bull Inn
Closed between 1970 and 2000
opened 16th century
Main Rd (A140)
grid reference TM 115 724
It's shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
Once a popular lively local, but now a restaurant.
The building dates from the late 16th century.
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, April 27th 1734***, to the Yaxley Bull.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 3rd Jun in 1837 stated that
Robert Koipe COBBOLD of the Eye Brewery was retiring from business & was looking to sell various Inns & Public Houses including the Bull, Yaxley.Ipswich Journal, June 3rd 1837***
A man named Orford, in the service of Mr Finbow, of Bacton, was ploughing a field when he turned up a brass candlestick, a silver watch, and a quantity of silver spoons, punch ladle, sugar tongs, and a variety of other things, which were identified as articles stolen from the Bull at Yaxley in 1827…
Nearby Bulls Hall is a G2 listed former farmhouse, constructed between 1530 & 1580. Although sub-divided in 18th cent Bulls Hall is still a fine example of a substantially complete C16 timber-framed former farmhouse. Site dates from the 14th cent. after William de Bulle who was given the manor by the King.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.