Capel St Mary
1 Real Ale pub
Population (2011) of Capel St Mary: 2847.
Local licensing authority for Capel St Mary is Babergh.
About Capel St Mary
Capel St Mary, or more informally, just "Capel", is a large and mainly modern settlement by-passed by the A12. The remains of a Roman villa were excavated during the building of a local housing estate. Churchford Hall was mentioned in Domesday as "Cercesfort". Capel St Mary is shown on John Speed's 1610 map as "Capell".
The war memorial was erected in 2018 and unveiled on the centenary of the Armistice.
Most visitors from outside Capel are probably drawn here by Bypass Nurseries, a large garden centre with an attached aquatics centre. A small vegetable market is held here on Saturdays.
Many Roman artefacts have been found in and around the parish; excavations from the 1920s suggest the existence of what may have been a Roman villa at Windmill Hill.
Capel St Mary Station, north of the village (and actually just inside the border in Bentley), was on the Hadleigh to Bentley branch line, which opened in 1847 and closed in 1965 (though passenger services ceased in 1932).
The Tankard is sometimes listed as being in Capel, but despite being much closer to this village's centre than the centre of Bentley, was actually in the latter village.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.