Chelmondiston, or more informally, "Chelmo", is large village near a bank of the Orwell estuary. Some local buildings including the church were demolished by a World War Two doodlebug. The village appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Chempton".
Pin Mill is a separate settlement within Chelmondiston parish.
Mill Lane marks the location of a large post mill, demolished in 1914. There's still an old steam mill standing nearby.
In 1943, a bombing decoy was built in Chelmondiston (at TM 225 377), though designated Trimley St Martin, to deflect enemy bombing from coastal landing points under construction in preparation for the invasion of Normandy. See Pastscape for more information.
There was a Royal Observer Corps underground monitoring post off Bylam Lane between 1961 and 1991, though little evidence of this now remains.
The 1855 White's Directory lists Robert Philpot as brewer & beer house keeper.
The 1861 Census lists John Scarpe (?Colesle? & Beerhouse, pub not named, Head/Married/56/born Woolverstone), Sarah King (Beerhouse Keeper, pub not named, Head/Widow Chelmondiston) and John Cooper (Mariner, Beerhouse, pub not named, Head/Married/29/born Chelmondiston) [Note: Pin Mill is listed in Chelmondiston].
The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists Jeremiah Adams, William Allen, George Daldy, Henry King and John Scarpe (also listed as a farmer) as beer retailers.
The 1869 Kelly's Directory lists Henry King and John Scarpe …
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.