app

Chelmondiston Foresters' Arms

Chelmondiston Foresters' Arms

Due to the latest government regulations, pubs currently have to close by 10pm. Opening hours displayed on this page may not take account of this change.

closed 2008

Main Rd [B1456], IP9 1DY

grid reference TM 205 372

Large open-plan bar which was mainly used for dining.

It's been closed and empty since early 2008.

Planning permission for residential conversion was granted in October 2011 and work finally commenced in 2015. Though a plan to reopen the pub as a "Real Ale destination pub" was mooted in 2012, this came to nothing. The building was demolished early in 2019.

In the March 1981 edition of Last Orders*** it was reported that this Ind Coope pub was selling Burton ale on handpump.

The pub can be seen on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)

old OS map

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Landlords

Landlords

Footnote

The Ancient Order of Foresters began in 1834 and were previously called the Royal Foresters (formed in the 18th century). Members pay into a common fund from which sick pay and funeral grants could be drawn for families that are financially distressed or destitute.

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)

(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

X