grid reference TM 160 448Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 30/12/2019
also traded as as: Hat & Feather, Bricklayers Armshistorical closure era: mid 20th century
opened 1579 or earlier
closed September 21st, 1958
last owner Cobbold
24-26 St George's St, IP1 3LH
The building dates from the 17th century and is owned by the Ipswich Building Preservation Trust.
Known as Hat & Feather from about 1719 to 1745
Known as Bricklayers Arms from 1811 to 1835
The license was surrendered in 1958 in exchange for the princely sum of £1600.
It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from the Ipswich licensing records.
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.