grid reference TM 167 442Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 21/01/2020
Ipswich Lion & Lambhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed July 18th, 1908
67 Fore St
The closure date is recorded in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923.
To be sold by auction, by direction of the proprietor, Mr M Rowell, who is compelled to relinquish the establishment from severe indisposition. All those very eligible and substantially brick built premises, situated in Back Street, St. Clement's, Ipswich; comprising that well accustomed public house, known as the Lion and Lamb, with small brewery and butcher's shop thereunto attached, in the occupation of the proprietor. The interior embraces butcher's shop, 2 sitting rooms, bar, tap room, 7 bedrooms, yard, brewery with back entrance, excellent cellar, and every convenience. The above compact property deserves the attention of brewers, or any person requiring a snug ready money concern, as, from its attractive position, being situated in one of the most populous and daily improving parts of the town, its proximity to the Paper Mills and Quays must secure to an active tenant a large return. The whole is in excellent repair, the larger portion being new within the last 12 months. The frontage to Back Street is 40ft and to Angel Lane 22ft. Possession can be given immediately.Ipswich Journal, May 1850**
A report in the Ipswich Journal, June 8th 1895**, when R Brookes was the landlord states that Harry Howles, a labourer, was acquitted of stealing £5 from Mr Brookes.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)