In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.
However, a number of pubs are providing takeaway food and/or drinks during the lockdown. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these terrible times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support of possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Ipswich Ram Inn
Ipswich Ram Inn
Closed 1892 circa.
opened 16th century or earlier
32 Key St
grid reference TM 167 440
The Ram stood "adjacent to the Green Man".
It's claimed, though apparently without any documentary evidence, that Henry Tooley was born in the Ram. Though his almshouses located in nearby Foundation Street certainly attest to him having a connection with this part of town.
Fine Florence Wine lately imported at Ipswich is to be Sold at the sign of the Ram on the Common Key in Ipswich aforesaid, by Henry Skynner, Merchant of Ipswich, at the rate of 32s 6d per half Chest, each half Chest containing 3- Bettys or 20 half Flasks.Ipswich Journal, April 1st & 8th 1727***
To be lett at Michaelmas next, an ancient and well accustomed Inn called the Ram, in Ipswich, late in the Occupation of Thomas Calvert, deceased, being one of the best situated Inns for Trade in Ipswich...Enquire of Henry Skynner, Merchant in Ipswich aforesaid.Ipswich Journal, September 20th 1729***
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, February 13th 1731***, to Mr John Cole at the Ram in St Mary Key Parish, Ipswich.
To be lett at a reasonable Rate, a Well accustomed Inn, call'd the Ram, on the C…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(detailed information from Old inns of Suffolk by Leonard P Thompson)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and Natural History, 1888)