Closed between 1920 and 1970
grid reference TM 047 453
The Sportsman is listed at www.tollycobbold.co.uk as having been open in 1924 but closed by 1961. The pub is known to date back at least as far as 1831, though the present building only dates from 1914 when the pub was rebuilt.
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
A free Public House called The Sportsman, Aldham, in good repair...with a good brew house, cellar, stable etc & upwards of an acre of excellent land being sold on behalf of Mr Goate GURDON Sen (Dec).Ipswich Journal*** on 26 August 26th 1854***
To be let, at Michaelmas, a full licensed public house known as the Aldham Sportsman, including one acre of capital arable land and premises suitable for a dealer. Apply to John Moryse, brewer at Boxford.Ipswich Journal, August 1875**
Two men woke Hayward at 1am asking him to take in 2 beasts that they had been droving from Norwich. The bullocks were the subject of a court order and the men ended up in court accussed of breaking the order…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.