Aldeburgh White Lion
Aldeburgh White Lion
formerly White Lyon
Due to the latest government regulations, pubs currently have to close by 10pm. Opening hours displayed on this page may not take account of this change.
Our Indian restaurant, Sea Spice will remain open for TAKE-AWAYS only. Please call 01728 451800 to order yours or visit our website.
This is a hotel, so it's possible that drinks are only available here to residents or diners. Please check before visiting.
Market Cross Place, IP15 5BJ
hotel, opened 1563
owner/operator: Aldeburgh & Thorpeness Hotels
An imposing 3 star hotel with fine sea views, which has a pleasantly relaxing public bar, restaurant and disabled toilet. In early 2011 this well appointed hotel undertook a massive refurbishment.
Built in the 17th century, with many alterations since, though according to A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, the hotel was established in 1563 on the site of an earlier inn dating from the 15th century.
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Accommodation available: 38 rooms
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Function room available to hire
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
- WiFi available
Nearest railway station
The hotel can be seen on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
May also be listed at the beach.
According to the 1904 Woodbridge licensing records, the White Lion's license was granted in 1790. It's not clear whether this is when it was first licensed or when it was granted a full (ie not just beer) license. Later licensing records show that on July 13th 1940 the hotel was closed "for the duration of the war". Perhaps requisitioned by the military?
A reference to the White Lyon appears in the Ipswich Journal*** in 26th June to 3rd July 1725.
A reference to the White Lyon tavern appears in the Ipswich Journal*** in 22nd to 27th July 1727.
A reference to Mr William Cracknall at the White Lyon tavern appears in the Ipswich Journal*** in 27th July to 3rd August 1728.…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** historic information supplied by Neil Langridge)