also traded as Doghouse
Closed: between 1969 and 1980?
grid reference TM 420 903
First recorded in Beccles Manor documents in 1650, as the Doghouse. The last reference under this name is in 1761; the first record as the Pickerel is in 1782.
The building is shown as a pub on the 1969 OS map but seems not to be one on the 1980 and subsequent sheets, so presumably closed between those dates.
A good accustomed public house… to be sold by auction… called the Pickerell in Beccles with a large orchard adjoining, late in the estate of Mathew Barnes deceased. For particulars inquire Mr Rede of Beccles aforesaid. Ipswich Journal, 8 Jun 1782
To be let and entered upon immediately, a public house at Beccles known by the sign of the Pickerel, with a garden adjoining of one acre, planted with choice fruit trees and on lease whereof 9 years are unexpired at Christmas next. Further particulars enquire John Powell, the present occupier. Ipswich Journal, 16 Nov 1782
The Beccles Brewery was sold with a house, gardens, building plots, a hotel [Kings Head] and 32 public houses previously owned by Frederick William Farr, at the Kings Head in Beccles on 28 Apr 1852…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Some information from records transcribed by Foxearth & District Local History Society.