app

Chediston Duke

Chediston Duke

also traded as Wellington, Duke of Wellington

closed 3rd March 1958

opened pre-1874

Chediston Green

grid reference TM 353 783

This old pub is now residential an still known as "the Duke"

The pub was licensed as "The Duke" from at least 1874 until closure in 1958. When it closed, the license was transferred to the Leiston Royal Standard.

It's shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map

old OS map

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

Footnote

In 1830 the Duke of Wellington was Prime Minister when the the Beer Act was introduced to help create Beer Houses - a new lower tier of premises permitted to sell alcohol. Under the 1830 Act any householder who paid rates could apply, with a one-off payment of two guineas, to sell beer or cider in their home (usually the front parlour) and even brew on the premises. The permission did not extend to the sale of spirits or fortified wines.

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

X