In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.
However, a number of pubs are providing takeaway food and/or drinks during the lockdown. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these terrible times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support of possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
also traded as Bulls Head
closed 31st December 1914.
last owner/operator: Colchester Brewing Company
7 Lambseth St
grid reference TM 144 739
The former Bull is now used as a restaurant. The building is a combination of a house built in 1540 and another built early in the 17th century.
It was closed in 1914 as part of a scheme to reduce the number of "excess" alcohol licenses.
In 1830 it's listed in Lambsey.
The pub can be seen on this old OS map from about 1903 (larger map)
A report in the Ipswich Journal, June 3rd 1837** stated that Robert Koipe COBBOLD of the Eye Brewery was retiring from business & was looking to sell various Inns & Public Houses including the Bull which has about 700 years remaining at a rent of 20s per annum.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Closure date from Eye town licensing records.