also traded as White Swan
last owner/operator: Greene King
20 Mill Rd
grid reference TL 670 454
The Swan has also been listed as being at Chantry Croft.
It closed in 1982; it was a Greene King pub at the time of its closure.
The building has now been converted into flats.
It is well documented**** that the 1667 "Great Fire of Haverhill", which destroyed much of the town, started in an inn called the Swan. It is thought the 17th century building was on a different site, near or on the High Street.
In the March 1981 edition of Last Orders*** it was reported that Graham Attwater and his wife Christine were here offering 3 Greene King beers on handpump. A "basic no frills pub."…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA members since 1978)
(**** historic information from Graham Nunn)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.