also traded as Crown Tavern
Due to the latest government regulations, pubs currently have to close by 10pm. Opening hours displayed on this page may not take account of this change.
Closed late 1930s
2 Fitzroy St
grid reference TM 161 448
The Crown was also called the Crown Tavern; its location also fits the entry in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923. It was listed at 33/35 Crown Street in 1932; by 1939 it was no longer listed. It was subsequently demolished.
The original Fitzroy Street was to the west of what's now called Fitzroy Street.
A reference is made in the Ipswich Journal, September 11th & 14th 1725*** to the Crown in St Matthews, Ipswich.
At a Petty Sessions hearing on 29 September 1860 The Crown was refused a new spirit licence. out of the twenty four applications only three establishments were granted licences.
Town properties to be sold by auction as part of the estate of the late Mr A J Cook, deceased, Lot 2. A corner beer house known as the Crown Tavern, situated at No. 2 Fitzroy Street, at the junction with Crown Street. A well accustomed corner public house licensed for sale of beer and cider situated in a populous district with stabling, yard, and cart way, now let to Messrs. Catchpole and Co., on a yearly tenancy at £30 per annum.Ipswich Journal, April 1895**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Petty sessions info from Ipswich Journal (Kim Jennings).
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)