CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 25/01/2020
Ipswich Ivy Leaf
also traded as as: Bantam Cock Innhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
54 Westgate St
Between 1881-85 it was called Bantam Cock.
There is some confusion about the location of this pub, as we have two conflicting descriptions.
According to the Borough Police licensed premises register, a bobby on beat number one would have walked past the Crown & Anchor, then the Gladstone, the Ivy Leaf, the Victoria (now Manning's) and finally the Golden Lion.
However, the 1909 Ipswich Rates book shows it about four doors west of the Feathers, which stood on the corner with Lady Lane, which doesn't seem to fit with the beat book. The reported number (54 Westgate Street) seems to fit better with the Rates book. Perhaps the license moved between two buildings in between?
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)