In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.
However, a number of pubs are providing takeaway food and/or drinks during the lockdown. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
opened 18th cent.
grid reference TM 275 401
According to the Woodbridge licensing register, the Greyhound's license was issued in 1853. Whether this was when it was first licensed or when it got its full (ie not just beer) license isn't known.
This pub appears on the 1838 and 1921 OS maps.
The landlord and landlady from 1929 were Walter and Ethel Pooley. Ethel died in the 1940's after which time their daughter, Flossie Wynne ran the pub with her father Walter until it closed in 1962.
The pub was subsequently demolished in 1966.
Curiously, the Felixstowe licensing records show the Greyhound as closing on December 3rd, 1967.
Many thanks to Ali Phillips, who is Flossie Wynne's grand-daughter and has supplied this information.
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
Self & 3 parish officers ejected 2 revellers from the pub and placed them in the village stocks for 2 hours. A court found the violence unjustified and awarded damages to the accused.Bury & Norwich Post** on March 20th 1833** (when Mr Self was the landlord)
To be sold by auction under the execution of the Sheriff of Suffolk, and free of duty, the household furniture and fixtures, butchers implements, harness mare, the growing crop of a quarter acre of wheat, and effects of Samuel John Self, upon the premises.Ipswich Journal, July 1835**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.