grid reference TM 421 499Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 30/12/2019
Orford White Harthistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed December 31st, 1910
last owner Melton Brewery
The White Hart was at one time a posting house & mail contractor.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the White Hart's license was issued in 1658. The license was allowed to lapse on December 31st 1910; the pub has since been demolished. It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
A deed of settlement dated 4th October, 1658 does not mention the property as an inn. In 1795, it was occupied by Thomas Moore & owned by William Harper of Trimley St Martin, from whom it passed to Rands James of Sudbourne for £340. A mortgage document of 30th March, 1795 names Rand James, Innkeeper and Elizabeth, his wife and William Goodman of Woodbridge, Gentleman. It refers to a Messuage or tenement, public house or inn... known by the name of the White Hart, late in the occupation of Thomas Moore. On 3rd February, 1796, Rands James leased the property for a year to Richard Butcher, "Wallman" & John Carthew, Gentleman of Woodbridge, a trustee.Inns of the Suffolk Coast, Leonard P Thompson, 1969***
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)
Closure date from Woodbridge licensling records.
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.