grid reference TM 386 632Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 30/12/2019
Saxmundham Coach & Horseshistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed July 5th, 1913
The Coach & Horses was closed on July 5th 1913, as part of a scheme to reduce the number of alcohol licenses. Now demolished, it stood where the Post Office used to be (between 1953 and 1991), at the right-hand end of the modern Post office building.
The pub can be seen here on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Closure date from Blything licensing records.
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Coach & horses became a means of transport for many travellers during the 17th and 18th cent. especially for those who could not afford their own vehicle. As regular services evolved, they soon encouraged many inns enroute to become natural stopping points for refreshments - with journeys broken into stages (about 8 miles) - and many eventually provided stabling to enable regular changes of horses. Their demise started in 1840s with the building of the railway network.