Please tell us if you know of any pubs here ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted.
This rapidly growing market town is located on the old London and Ipswich to Lowestoft turnpike. The old tollhouse, called the Carlton Gate can still be seen. The turnpike eventually became the A12 and Saxmundham became a notorious bottleneck until it was by-passed. Henry Bright (1814-1873) was a celebrated local water-colourist. The local railway station is on the east Suffolk branch line.
Legend suggests the one-time existence of a tunnel under the former Angel Inn, which supposedly ran from Framlingham to Leiston Abbey. Whether it actually existed is still a matter of speculation. Mill Road marks the location of a post mill erected about 1790, which worked until 1885 and was dismanted in 1907. Part of the roundhouse has been incorporated into a home on Rendham Road.
Saxmundham was recorded in Domesday as "Saxmondeham" or "Sasmundesham".
In 1839 Pigot's Directory Jonas Blanden, Thomas Blanden and John Foulsham (& maltster) are all listed as brewers.
In 1844 White's Directory Wm. Threadkell was also listed as a beer seller and James Blanden and John Foulsham (& maltster) are also listed as brewers.
The 1851 Census also lists William Fenton (Butcher & Innkeeper, Thoroughfare, pub not named, Head/Married/43y/born Snape) with Elizabeth Fenton (Thoroughfare, pub not named, Wife/Married/39y/born Saxmundham)…