closed 22nd December 1977
opened 16th century
last owner/operator: Tollemache
9, 11, 15 and 19 Market Place
grid reference TM 386 632
The Angel was built late in the 16th century; its license was surrendered in 1977.
The pub was partially demolished and redeveloped in 1979. (Saxmundham Museum records & photographs).
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
To be sold, a Messuage in Saxmundham, known by the Sign of the Angel, also a cottage thereto adjoining, both lett at £16 8s per Annum.Ipswich Journal, January 23rd 1768***
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, November 10th 1900** when Herbert Blackhouse was the landlord and describes Blackhouse as an innkeepers agent.
To be sold by auction, at the King's Arms, Halesworth, on the 17th January 1821, as part of a large sale of Independent Inns and Public House, of established trade, in Suffolk, Lot 17., the Angel Inn, at Saxmundham…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.