Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Stowmarket White Horse
Stowmarket White Horse
opened about 1633
11-13 Station Rd
grid reference TM 049 587
The White Horse was built in the 15th or 16th century; it is also be listed in Stowupland St.
It was owned by Charles Wood's Bacton brewery from 1868-85.
The pub closed in 1903 at a time when licenses were being reduced. It was owned by Greene King at the time; they'd bought it in 1895.
Today the building is used as an opticians and dental surgery.
It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
To be sold, the White-Horse in Stowmarket, now in the Occupation of Mr John Graham, with a small Tenement in the Occupation of Mrs Wright, and a Shop adjoining thereto. Enquire of the above Mr Allom.Ipswich Journal, January 23rd 1748***
On Saturday the 28th, George Holden, of the White Horse Inn, Stowmarket, married Mrs Payne, of the Greyhound, Stowmarket.Ipswich Journal, March 1800***
A notice in the Suffolk Chronicle, April 17th 1813**, reports the death on 11 April 1813 of the former landlord, George HOLDEN
(Stowmarket, Combs & Stowupland Pubs Book confirms that George ran this pub between 1793 - 1806 when he became bankrupt)
William MILLS, landlord of the White Horse Inn, Stowmarket, guilty of keeping his house open for the sale of beer, on Sunday 14th October, before the proper hour…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information by Neil Langridge)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.