grid reference TM 240 720
The Swan was built early in the 15th century, though subsequently altered. Although a date of 1915 has been quoted for the closure of the Swan, the Hoxne licensing records show it still open at least as late as 1968.
It's shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
Moore, Garrod and Son will sell by auction the furniture and effects of Mr R Gooden, who is leaving the Swan Inn at Wilby near Stradbroke, including sets of concave seated and other chairs, two wainscot dining tables, 30 hour and 8 day clocks, bureau, French and other bedsteads, three good feather beds, chest of drawers, etc., two capital neat luggage carts, set of nearly new brass mounted harness, two guns, excellent oat and bean mill by Turner, chaff cutter, coal weigher, tools and effects.Ipswich Journal, March 1885**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.