Real Ale is sold here.
37 The Street (B1115), IP7 7HU
grid reference TL 982 480
bar / restaurant
Classic, "olde worlde" charm abounds in this timber framed building. A massive inglenook fireplace can be found in one bar. Beers usually from Adnams, Woodfordes or Nethergate breweries. Also offering good food at reasonable prices.
For some reason, TripAdvisor seems to think the pub is in nearby Bildeston.
The building mainly dates from the 16th century (though with wood carvings dating from 1410) and part of it was previously used as a shop. It takes its name from Miss Peacock, the maiden name of the mother of sisters who once ran the establishment.
The "Dickie & Buskin" seems to have been an informal local name for the pub, meaning "Donkey & Basket".
Nearest railway station
The owner until 2010 was Enterprise Inns.
George Gage was born in 1817 & died in 1896 after having 12 children with his wife, Mary, from Bildeston. He became the village grocer & beer house keeper at the Peacock. As no earlier record of the pub has been found, it may be assumed that it was George who launched it. Mary's maiden name was Peacock which may account for the Inn's name, and her will expressed particular concern that the "business" should be kept within the family…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** book extract from Bob Mitchell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)