In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.
Some of them may well still be offering a takeaway beer service and some others will also be selling food takeaways, perhaps even with delivery. If you can give any of our pubs some support through these terrible times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support of possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Bildeston King's Head
Bildeston King's Head
Real Ale is sold here.
132 High St, IP7 7ED
grid reference TL 992 495
Home of the King's Head brewery since 1996. A single bar with large cosy inglenook fireplace. The large carved timbers indicate its history as part of a larger complex dating from around 1530. A friendly drinking house atmosphere has evolved with food available at the weekend only. A fully enclosed rear garden with a covered patio area, lawns and play equipment. Late May bank holiday beer festival is established and popular.
It has a long established reputation for live music. Every Wednesday is busking night and there is live music most weekends.
The pub has a toilet for disabled customers.
Built in the 14th century as a wool warehouse, the building was converted into a pub in the 16th century.
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Beer festivals
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Cider (real draught, not keg) available: Castlings Heath
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Live music
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Pub sells beer from local brewers
- Real fire
- Traditional pub games available
- WiFi available
Nearest railway station
The marriage took place on the 27th November 1860 by the Rev. J Gedge, Mr Jabez Osborn, grocer and draper, to Emily daughter of Mr W Squirrell, of the Kings Head Inn, Bildeston.Ipswich Journal, December 1860**
A report in the Bury & Norfolk Post & Suffolk Herald*** on December 19th in 1885 makes reference to Charles RALPH, of the King's Head Inn, Bildeston whose bar window had been smashed.
Originally a three bar inn with a number of letting rooms. In 2007 many of the larger public spaces were closed - ie the lounge bar and pool room - to retain just a single public bar with all the other rooms now converted into separate private accommodation. The adjacent space which was also used as both a shop and a restaurant in recent years has also since been converted for private usage.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA members since 1978)