grid reference TM 288 762Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.
last updated 30/12/2019
Fressingfield Jolly Farmershistorical closure era: mid 20th century
The Jolly Farmers was built late in the 16th century as a farmhouse. It's now a B&B.
(see website at http://www.jolly-farmers-suffolk.com)
Originally opened as a beer-house in about 1830 and was bought by Steward & Patteson in 1885. When Watneys took S&P in the late 60s it closed in Nov 68 on economic grounds.from Stuart Newby (Jolly Farmers B&B - March 2008)
[Note the 1841 census shows Martha Chandler as a beerhouse keeper in the next entry, so this may be the Jolly Farmers.]
It's also been reported at Mill Green, Fressingfield, in 1881.
It's shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.