app

Ipswich Bear & Crown (Bear)

Ipswich Bear & Crown (Bear)

Closed about 1885

19? Westgate St

grid reference TM 161 446

It seems likely that the Bear & Crown occupied what's now two shop units immediately east of the building we have pictured as the Suffolk Hotel.

In 1888 it was recorded that "[it] some years ago became absorbed in the Suffolk Hotel". The 1830 drawing of the Suffolk (before they were joined) occupying the whole of the three-story building, with a gap to the west of it, so making it unlikely that the Bear & Crown was that side. In addition, we're told that there are pub cellars under the shops, so if they weren't occupied by the Bear & Crown they're certainly in an old pub.

A fire is recorded at the premises in 1828 requiring extensive rebuilding, so the name may have changed after this?…

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)


© 2007-2020, the Campaign for Real Ale in Suffolk. Developed by Tony Green.


This site uses cookies to a very limited extent. For details of why, and to see our privacy policy, please visit this page.