Henley Cross Keys
Henley Cross Keys
Closed after 2000
Main Road, IP6 0HP
grid reference TM 153 523
The original pub can be seen on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
A prominent 3 bar village pub which sought to provide a wide range of facilities for the local community.
Although the building only dates from 1916, a pub has stood on this site much longer; the original building was burned down.
On April 24th 2015 the local CAMRA branch was informed that this pub is temporarily closed. It has been on the market ever since. In July 2015 it was registered as an Asset of Community Value, which should provide at least some protection against it being sold for redevelopment. However, latest indications are that the pub won't reopen anyway.
In the light of yet another change of use application, local people have set up further campaigns to save the pub. See …
At the Ipswich and Suffolk Licensed Victuallers' Trade Protection Society meeting of January 1875, held at the Victoria Inn, Berners Street, Mr J H Parker, of the Cross keys, Henley, was accepted as a new member.Ipswich Journal, January 1875**
John Ward a sawyer from Barham was found guilty of being riotous at the Cross Keys, at Henley, and refusing to quit when asked to do so by the landlord, Mr John H Parker, Ward was fined £1 including costs. Ipswich Journal, June 1875**
The sign of the cross keys is usually a reference to St Peter - an early christian follower and told by Jesus that "I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven".
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA members since 1978)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.