Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
1 Queen St
grid reference TL 671 455
The Star was closed in the 1920s and demolished soon afterwards.
It's thought to be right on the corner of Camps Road.
It's shown as a pub on the 1886 OS map, but seems to have gone by the 1904 sheet (other nearby pubs are still shown), so possibly closed between those dates. Curiously, there are directory and census entries later than 1904; so perhaps by then it was off-sales only?
The photographs can be dated to within 25 years as the pub belongs to F C Christmas of the Haverhill Brewery.
(The brewery - and associated pub estate - was purchased by Christmas from William Ward in 1893 and sold on to Greene King in 1918).
Haverhill: The Star
Brick built Beer House
On the First Floor: 3 Bedrooms
On the Ground Floor: Bar, Tap Room, Parlour and Kitchen, also basement Cellar.
Yard with folding gates, containing two-stall Stable and Coach-house.
Let to Mr. Joseph Kettle.Details of pub premises belonging to William Ward & Son sold, along with the brewery, by auction 23rd January 1894***. Taken from the original source of documentation at Suffolk Record Office
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(***Original source of documentation transcribed by Graham Nunn)