North West, 52.05785,1.17702
168 Spring Rd, IP4 5NR
grid reference TM 178 447
The pub is shown on this OS town plan from about 1880 (larger map).
This pub had an unusual layout and furnishings, which made it feel more like a bar in someone's house than a pub.
In its later years, the Trafalgar was significantly improved with the addition of a conservatory and noted for a wider-than-average range of ales.
Owner/operator: Town & Country Inns
Freehouse with conservatory area. Beer range a sad shadow of its former self.
Beers: guest beers (mainly nationals).CAMRA's 1997 Suffolk Real Ale Guide
Owen Bird the publican at the Trafalgar Inn gave evidence in the trial of William West who was found guilty of burglary. West had left the Old Times after closing and broke into the house of Thomas Brookfield at 134 Cauldhall Road, stealing three coats. He received 14 months hard labour.Ipswich Journal, November 21st 1891** (when Owen Bird was the landlord)
At the Ipswich Petty Sessions of January 1885 the license for the Trafalgar, Spring Road, was transferred from Harry Cable to James Ward.Ipswich Journal, July 1885**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.