Real Ale is sold here.
Broad St, CO10 5DX
grid reference TL 962 405
Reopened in mid-May 2019 after being closed for nine months
Former coaching inn. The building dates from the 16th century, with an 18th century frontage. According to Alfred Hedges' book, "Inns & Inn Signs of Norfolk & Suffolk, it's claimed that the Fleece was built by a local builder from the excess profits he made from building Boxford rectory. Hedges also tells us that the oak panelling comes from old box pews which prior to 1887 were in the local parish church.
Cask conditioned beers are mainly from Colchester Brewery and local guest ales, lagers and ciders from Suffolk.
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown, though un-named, on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
Former coaching inn now specialising in top class jazz sessions, which are held every Fri evening in the upstairs function room (IPA available).
Beer: Greene King IPA; Tetley Bitter; Tolly Shooter; guest beer (Pubmaster list).CAMRA's 1997 Suffolk Real Ale Guide
For many years the Fleece was a world-famous jazz venue, but the small size of the pub finally forced a move to Kersey Mill in April 2008 (and subsequently to the Stoke by Nayland Club).
According to Alfred Hedges' book, "Inns & Inn Signs of Norfolk & Suffolk", it's claimed that the Fleece was built by a local builder from the excess profits he made from building Boxford rectory…
The fleece is a common reference to the wool trade that was very important in Suffolk, particularly in 17th & 18th cent. until cheap imports from the colonies undermined the trade.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)