grid reference TL 957 656Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 21/01/2020
Norton Plumbers' Arms
also traded as as: Tickled Trouthistorical closure era: late 20th century
closed 1999 circa
Woolpit Rd, IP31 3LU
The original Plumber's Arms was a 300 year old coaching inn. It was demolished in August 1959 along with the adjacent hall which had also served as a village dance hall.
A new purpose-built replacement pub was built where the hall had been and was ready to open as soon as the old pub was closed. It was built for Bullard's at a cost of £9,000.
The new building also traded as the Plumbers Arms and was in later years owned by Watney's and Grand Met. Its name was only changed to the Tickled Trout for a couple of years before its closure in 1999. It has since been demolished, with new housing having been built upon the site.
It's shown here (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.