grid reference TM 046 757Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II*
CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.
last updated 30/12/2019
Rickinghall Superior Hamblyn Househistorical closure era: late 20th century
opened 16th century
The Street, IP22 1BN
According to A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, Hamblyn House was already an inn by 1508.
The large lounge was dominated by a large fireplace.
The parish boundary runs through the building, following the course of an underground stream.
In the June/July 1981 edition of Last Orders*** it was reported that Geoff & Ros were then offering beers from Tolly Cobbold, Adnams & Abbot on handpump.
It's now a private residence after a short spell as a restaurant.
The pub was owned by St Peter's brewery for a while in the late 1990s, during the early days of this local brewery.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)