Aldringham is set amongst coastal sandlings (some of which survive as North Warren nature reserve) The parish's most striking building is a medieval church set in the valley of the river Hundred.
The village clusters around the crossroads between the main Aldeburgh-Leiston and Thorpeness-Knodishall roads, with the pub standing right on the junction. The village sign shows (top to bottom), Sir Ranulph de Glanville (founder of the village church), A tumbril drawn by a Suffolk Punch, Aldringham Church, The River Hundred and Aldringham Fens.
Aldringham was recorded in Domesday as "Alrincham". It is also known as Aldringham cum Thorpe, but we have listed the coastal hamlet of Thorpeness separately. So far we have not been able to find a map showing the boundary between Aldringham and Thorpeness, so only the parish boundary appears on our map.
Sometimes the Kelsale Eight Bells may inadvertently be listed as part of this parish. Due to historically being in the same parish, the Thorpeness Crown may often be listed as being located in Aldringham.
The pub is reputedly the oldest building in the village. It's rumoured locally that an old smugglers' tunnel still runs from the pub to the church.…
William Thomas Smith was recorded as having been granted a new beerhouse (on-sales) license in 1878/1879. [This probably relates to the Crown, Thorpeness].
The 1891 Census also lists Louisa Forsdike (Beerhouse Keeper, Crown Street, Aldringham, Leiston, pub not named, Head/Widow/71y/born Kelsale) with Clare Forsdike (Scholar, Crown Stret, Aldringham, Leiston, pub not named, Granddaughter/Single/10y/born Leiston).…