Please tell us if you know of any pubs here ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted.
Assington is an unassuming village of mainly brick houses built in 19th century when the community was then a co-operative based upon the socialist theories of Robert Owen. Metal tokens were issued for labour or exchanged for goods in the local shop. The society was dissolved in 1918. Local rumour suggests the former existence of a tunnel between Assington House and Assington Hall, used as a refuge by Catholics during the Tudor period.
Most of the village stretches along The Street, with the church at the north and the pub about halfway along.
Assington was recorded in Domesday as "Asetona". The 1856 OS map shows the village as "Afsington"
The 1844 White's Directory lists two beer houses, run by Thomas Butcher and Henry Carter.
The 1855 White's Directory lists two beer houses, run by Thomas Butcher (& woodman) and Wm. Hawkins (& wheelwright).
The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists James Butcher (also listed as a broom maker & farmer) and William Butcher as beer retailers.
The 1869 Kelly's Directory lists James Butcher (also listed as a broom maker & farmer) and William Butcher as beer retailers.
The 1874 White's Directory lists Mrs Jane Butcher and Wm. Butcher (also listed as a farmer) as beer retailers.…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.