closed June 2017
opened 17th century
Norwich Rd, IP23 8AP
grid reference TM 134 766
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
Heavily timbered 17th century pub with later additions. On main A140 equidistant Norwich and Ipswich. Large beer garden with childrens play area. Large restaurant with good menu, speciality curry night on Saturday. Single traditional bar with pictures to show how close a WW2 bomber from local Eye airfield came to demolishing the pub in 1944. Same friendly publican host for 34 years (2017). On Ipswich/Diss bus route 113/114.
The pub closed in June 2017, having been on the market for a long time without finding a buyer. The owners, who have retired, are remaining in the building until such time as it can be sold. When visited in August 2018, all signage had been removed, so it looks like the closure may be permanent.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on June 3rd in 1837 stated that Robert Koipe COBBOLD of the Eye Brewery was retiring from business & was looking to sell various Inns & Public Houses including the Brome Swan.
Whit Monday, a grand fete and gala, will be held on a meadow at Langton grove, Eye. The reappearance of Lieut. Lempriere, the celebrated aeronaut, and Miss Maud brooks the popular and daring parachutist, who will (weather permitting) ascend in the magnificent and monster balloon the Skylark, and having attained the height of from 12000 to 16000 feet, seize her parachute, leap from the trapeze, and drop from the clouds.
Cycling events under NCU rules, followed by rural sports. Two bands. Admission 1s.…
Updated by Dave Wilkins 09/10/13
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.