app

Ipswich Suffolk Hotel

Ipswich Suffolk Hotel

also traded as Suffolk Stores

closed February 1905

opened 1820s approx.

23 Westgate St

grid reference TM 161 446

The Suffolk Hotel closed in 1905 when a license renewal was refused.

At some time around 1888, the Bear & Crown, located adjacent to this building, was incorporated into the Suffolk Hotel. The 1884 OS map shows two distinct pubs where the Suffolk now stands, perhaps confirming this?

The building was later used as a restaurant before being converted into a retail outlet. The lower frontage has changed significantly in modern times.

old OS map

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(** information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

Closure date from Borough Police records.

X