also traded as Cross and Posting
Closed between 1920 and 1970
grid reference TM 465 568
The Cross is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
The former Cross is now a shop.
According to the 1904 Woodbridge licensing records, the Cross's license was issued in 1790. It closed in 1959, with the license transferred to the Lowestoft Prince Albert.
It's also been listed in the High Street (1912 & 1922).
A well accustomed public house to be let – the Cross in Aldeburgh, with good cellars and stabling, now in occupation of Mr James Cable. Inquire Mr Robert Reve, brewer in Halesworth. Ipswich Journal, 29 Jun 1782
Suicide of William Fox, hawker from Ipswich, at Cross inn – using a leather strap… had previously threatened to drown himself and was prone to drunkenness, violent temper, cruelty to his wife and jealousy… innkeeper confirmed he was playing bagatelle till 12 o clock and was perfectly sober when he went to bed. Ipswich Journal, 28 Dec 1861.