also traded as Red Lion
Closed: between 1958 and 1981?
grid reference TL 765 634
The Red Lion is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century (interactive map). It isn't entirely clear which building was actually the pub - could it in fact have been the smaller building to the rear rather than the one facing the green?
The pub is shown on the 1958 OS map, but not on the 1981 sheet, so presumably closed some time in between.
On Monday last about 8 in the evening, Mr Macro of Barrow Hall near Bury was returning home from the Red Lion ( where he had been to collect his tythes) when he was stopped near his own home by a single highway man with a waggoner's frock on. Mr Macro feeling a horse pistol in his hand struck at it with his walking stick but missed his aim, whereupon the villain fired at him but missed, the ball only grazing his cheek and singed his coat upon his shoulder, the highway man then rode across the fields…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.