Beccles Duke Inn
Beccles Duke Inn
also traded as Duke of Cumberland, Duke's Head
South East, 52.45697,1.56142
Closed: about 1907
grid reference TM 420 902
The pub is shown but not named on this OS town plan of 1884.
Many thanks to Peter Bardwell for making the connection between this pub and a previously unidentified old pub at this location.
This building is now called Cumberland House. Even now, the building still retains its sign-hanger.
George Smith, a vagrant, was charged with having stolen a sheet, the property of Sarah Warne, landlady of the Duke Inn, Beccles. After Smith had lodged at the Duke Inn for two nights Warne was visited by Super-Intendant Hastings who informed her that her lodger had sold a sheet which they believed belonged to her. Unfortunately for Smith person who bought the sheet was the local constable who thought something was wrong. He pleaded guilty and received one month's imprisonment with hard labour.Ipswich Journal, February 17th 1860**
Colchester Brewery Co is to sell the Duke in Ballygate.Suffolk Gazette, June 18th 1907
To be sold by auction by the instructions of the Executors of the late Mr Robert Jordan, butcher, the well frequented freehold public house, called the Duke Inn, situated in Ballygate Street, Beccles, in the occupation of Mr Samuel Fiske, a yearly tenant; only outgoing land tax 5s 2d.Ipswich Journal, February 1870**
The Beccles Brewery was sold with a house, gardens, building plots, a hotel [Kings Head] and 32 public houses previously owned by Frederick William Farr, at the Kings Head in Beccles on 28 Apr 1852. See Suffolk Archives Ref: 559/1 - This sale included the Duke, Ballygate, Beccles [landlord James Davey]
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)