North East, 52.4575,1.56296
Closed: 1963, possibly a little earlier.
9 New Market
grid reference TM 421 903
The Falcon was demolished for a retail development in 1963.
A Smith's paper "Inns of Beccles in 1929" (kindly supplied by Daryl Ling) tells us that there was a cockpit in the Falcon. Smith tells us that it was the oldest inn in town.
Historically listed in Ballygate.
A Main of Cocks will be fought at Mr Benjamin Lambert's House, the Faulcon in Beccles.Ipswich Journal, May 17th 1740***
A Main of Cocks at Mr Benjamin Lambert's, the Falcon, Beccles.Ipswich Journal, June 19th 1742***
In 1782 the Norfolk Chronicle reported the death of Mrs Ward from the inn, in an accident at Barnby.
Thomas FARR inherited the Falcon from his father in 1795 & then owned Inn for 55 years**
On April 28th 1852 George YOUELL - sale of Inn & Brewery (he previously held the Chequers 1839 - 1844)**
The Beccles Brewery was sold with a house, gardens, building plots, a hotel [Kings Head] and 32 public houses previously owned by Frederick William Farr, at the Kings Head in Beccles on 28 Apr 1852…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** a book - The Story of a Beccles Inn: The Falcon by Dorothy Smith - ISBN 1 90304501 0)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)