Closed between 1920 and 1970
grid reference TM 230 656
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
The pub is on the corner and is now known as "Tavern Farm" It stopped being a pub in the late 60s. Mike Lomas.
The building dates from the early to mid 17th century.
By authority of the Assignees of Mr Samuel Ray, a bankrupt, to be sold by auction Lot 4 the valuable, good accustomed and long established public house called the Dog, Bedfield, situated by the road leading from Bedfield to Worlingworth, with a butchers shop, slaughter house, barn, stable, backhouse, dairy, neathouse, and other suitable outbuildings, all in complete repair, and 18 acres 6 perches by recent survey, of very excellent arable pasture land, contiguous to the premises, and in the best state of cultivation, now in the occupation of Barnabas Wade, tenant at will.Ipswich Journal, July 1815**
The death was announced on the 13th March 1860 of George Groom the landlord of the Dog Inn Bedfield, he was aged 45 years.Ipswich Journal, March 1860**
At the Framlingham Petty Sessions held in …
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(*** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.