In the light of the latest government instructions, all pubs are now closed until at least December 2nd.
A number of pubs are providing takeaway food and/or drinks during the Covid-19 lockdown. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
After the end of Lockdown, Suffolk will remain in Tier Two, which means that drinks on the premises can only be sold with meals. This of course rules out reopening for the vast majority of pubs. As and when pubs reopen, we will list them on this page and highlight them on location pages.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these terrible times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support of possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Please note that due to government regulations, all takeaway drinks must be pre-booked by telephone, text or other means.
Bury St Edmunds Three Kings
Bury St Edmunds Three Kings
also traded as Vine, Three Kings' Heads
grid reference TL 852 642
The location of the Three Kings has been confirmed on the 1885 OS map at the Bury Record Office; the building on site now is modern, so the original one must have been demolished.
It became Montague Burton's in 1933 with a bar retained to the rear of the premises. After closure the right hand part of property was demolished to provide a new passageway.
The pub is listed at Market Hill and at 12 Great Market place in 1830 and at 13 Meat Market (between 1840 and 1891).
It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century (interactive map); the location has been confirmed on an old town plan.
To be lett or sold, the Vine Tavern in Hatter's-Street, Bury St Edmunds, being a well accustomed House, with a Sash Front, three good Rooms on the first Floor, Four on the Second, and good Garrets, Cellars and Outhouses, late in the Occupation of Mr John Arnold, deceased - debts to be paid to Mrs Mary Arnold.Ipswich Journal, November 14th 1747***
John Tilbrooke erecting the Steelyard for the weighing Hay, Wool etc. at the Vine, opposite the Market-Cross (Bury St Edmunds) which was formerly Mr Christopher Winterflood's. Ipswich Journal, August 27th 1757***
later advertisement for the Bushel (previously run by the bankrupt Winterflood) confirms these were two separate inns.…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.