grid reference TL 855 639Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 21/01/2020
Bury St Edmunds Three Tuns
also traded as as: Three Tunns Innhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
44 Crown St
The Three Tuns was forced to close in 1903 because apparently it was considered inappropriate to have a pub so close to a church!
The building was taken over by the St Mary's Church Institute until 1949 and by the 1970s it was called Landsbury House (reading rooms) and used by the Labour Party as an Office and for meetings until 1997.
(information from www.burypastandpresent.org.uk)
The building dates from the late 17th century, with 18th century alterations.
The pub is also listed variously at 35, 42 or 43 Crown Street.
It's shown on this OS town plan of 1885.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)