Closed between 1916 and 1926?
grid reference TM 051 465
The pub building dates from the 17th century or earlier.
It's shown on the 1905 OS map, but by the 1926 sheet, all that's shown is "Chequers Farm", so presumably it closed between 1916 (the last directory entry found) and 1926.
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
The chequerboard as a pub sign may have its origins from Roman taverns when a board game like draughts was often advertised and played. It may also be an ancient sign to indicate the landlord was a money-lender or could offer secure storage for a travellers valuables.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.